Friday, January 14, 2011

questionairre for design 405-web design

1.last book I read: Go Ask Alice was the last full book, but I'm slowly making my way through The Best American Short Stories 2010

2.last film I saw in theater: Black Swan

3.favorite song right now and why: Evening Kitchen by Band of Horses, because I spend too much time thinking about the past. And because I fucking love Band of Horses.

4.games I enjoy playing: Word games like Apples to Apples, Taboo

5.what I hope to gain from this class: A better understanding of what it means to offer/receive an experience and how to better move forward with the understanding that experience gives

6.why I engage in artistic pursuits: I am addicted to what it means to be human. Art seems like such a broad and open platform to explore that idea.

7. what I do in my off time: off time? what's that? haha.
Buy a bunch of old records that I think I will listen to to try to keep up with the hipsters but end up with a pile of dusty records and like 5 I actually listen to. That's been a lot of what I do recently(I do truly love vintage/thrift stores). I like the prospects of being able to drink in public, something I knew little of until a few months ago-so finding/taking of advantage of good drink specials. Trying to read before ADD takes over. I spend a lot of time talking to myself(this is mostly an inner dialogue on good days) and other people. I love talking. I might do it too much. There is a sign in my grandmother's kitchen that my grandfather had wood-engraved that says something like " If you're talkin' you ain't learnin' Which I guess is partially true.

8.what I am nervous about going into this class: You seem to have high expectations, which is awesome, but of course intimidating from my point of view. and...CODING. I know ZIP about web design. Really. Ok, well I could make a myspace page look really snazzy in my time. Those line breaks I put in my "about me" were really stunning.

9. my definition of an interface:I  honestly don't think I can give a definition that isn't influenced by our discussion today. I'm not really sure I could have told you this morning before we discussed it, either. From what I learned,an interface is an experience based on feedback. It is data you react with.

10. best moment as a student of the arts: Passing portfolio. I guess that's sort of obvious, but having spent a lot of time wondering "When will I be a REAL artist" (and asking many people about when they felt this was true for them), it felt like a huge step in the right direction. During that same semester, a non-design teacher who finished her MFA and was moving on to other places, sent me an email that basically said she considered me a colleague and had been privileged to have me as a student. That's one of the nicest things anyone has ever said to me, and having that validation would have carried me had I not passed.

11.meaning of abstraction: a manipulation or alternative perception of what is real or concrete

12.questions you should have asked: Does Einsteins actually put crack in their bagels? I would like to know the answer to this as well but I'm pretty sure it's a yes.

No comments:

Post a Comment